One of the most interesting facts about Africa is that the length and breadth of this continent are about the same. It measures around 4,660 from north to south and from east to west. Africa is not only the second largest but the second most populated continent as well and houses about 12% of the world population.
What are 5 interesting facts about Africa?
- AFRICA IS THE SECOND LARGEST CONTINENT ON EARTH. …
- BETWEEN 1500-2000 LANGUAGES ARE SPOKEN IN AFRICA. …
- AFRICA IS THE SOURCE OF THE WORLD’S LONGEST RIVER. …
- AFRICA IS HOME TO THE WORLD’S OLDEST UNIVERSITY. …
- THE RICHEST MAN EVER IS AFRICAN. …
- THE WORLD’S LARGEST HOTTEST DESERT IS IN AFRICA.
What are three facts about Africa?
Fun Facts About Africa
1) Africa’s most commonly spoken language is Arabic. English is second. 2) Nearly half of all gold mined has come from Witwatersrand, South Africa. 3) Africa is the most centrally-located continent on the planet.
What’s special about Africa?
Africa is an amazing continent that is distinctly unique among the seven continents. Africa is rich in cultural heritage and diversity, a wealth of natural resources, offers breathtaking tourist attractions, and contains some of the most intricate political systems.
What is surprising about Africa?
Africa is the World’s Hottest Continent
As you probably already know, Africa has a very warm climate and it is actually considered to be the world’s hottest continent. Around 60% of land is dry and covered by desert, and the Sahara is the world’s biggest desert with temperatures often topping 100°F (or exceeding 40°C).
Who Found Africa?
Portuguese explorer Prince Henry, known as the Navigator, was the first European to methodically explore Africa and the oceanic route to the Indies.
Who named Africa?
One of the most popular suggestions for the origins of the term ‘Africa’ is that it is derived from the Roman name for a tribe living in the northern reaches of Tunisia, believed to possibly be the Berber people. The Romans variously named these people ‘Afri’, ‘Afer’ and ‘Ifir’.
What are 10 facts about Africa?
10 Amazing Facts About Africa
- Sahara Desert, Africa. Africa is home to the world’s longest river. …
- Giraffe, Africa. It is thought to be the cradle of civilisation. …
- Hippopotamus, Africa. Africa is less isolated than you think. …
- Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe, Africa. It is home to 54 countries and 10 territories.
What is Africa famous for?
Africa is known for Mount Kilimanjaro, Victoria Falls, Nile river, and game reserves such as the Maasai Mara and Serengeti. Africa is also famous for its diverse ethnic groups, Egyptian Pyramids, the Sahara Desert, Mining, and for being the second driest, and the poorest continent in the world.
How old is Africa?
The oldest formed about 3.4 billion years ago, the second some 3 to 2.9 billion years ago, and the third some 2.7 to 2.6 billion years ago. Some of the oldest traces of life are preserved as unicellular algae in Precambrian cherts of the Barberton greenstone belt in the Transvaal region of South Africa.
What was Africa called?
In Kemetic History of Afrika, Dr cheikh Anah Diop writes, “The ancient name of Africa was Alkebulan. Alkebu-lan “mother of mankind” or “garden of Eden”.” Alkebulan is the oldest and the only word of indigenous origin. It was used by the Moors, Nubians, Numidians, Khart-Haddans (Carthagenians), and Ethiopians.
Who is the richest man in Africa?
As of 2021, Aliko Dangote is the richest man in Africa. He has a net worth of 11.7 billion U.S. dollars and ranks 183 worldwide. From Nigeria, he is the founder and chairman of the Dangote Group, a large conglomerate operating in several sectors including cement and sugar.
How long did Africa rule the world?
Africa ruled the world for 15,000 years and civilized mankind.
What is the weirdest fact?
65 Facts So Weird You Won’t Believe They’re True
- There’s a company that turns dead bodies into an ocean reef. …
- The name “bonobo” resulted from a misspelling. …
- There is an annual Coffee Break Festival. …
- You can buy a flying bicycle. …
- Dolphins sleep with one eye open. …
- Vacuum cleaners were originally horse-drawn.
What do you love about Africa?
Africa has the most varied wildlife that you can imagine, and it is the reason why the continent has become popular for safari trips as well as wildlife and nature reserves. Many of these animals and/or wildlife are unique to Africa and there are many natural parks you can see and admire these animals in.
What you dont know about Africa?
There are more than 2,000 languages spoken in Africa. Bear in mind that there are only 54 countries. 2. The Sahara Desert is the largest desert in the world and is larger than the continental United States.