What do I need to pack for South Africa?
South Africa Packing Checklist
- ID documents (passport, driver’s license, visa)
- Money, credit cards.
- Appropriate seasonal clothing and undergarments.
- Bathing suit, sunscreen.
- Sunglasses, hat.
- Basic toiletries.
- Cameras, batteries.
- Laptop, cell phone, chargers.
What should I pack for a 2 week trip to South Africa?
Get your gear and get ready for adventure.
- 2-3 pair travel pants for men & women.
- 2 long sleeve shirts (lightweight)
- 4 t-shirts or tank tops.
- 1 pair sweatpants or lounge wear for cool nights.
- 1 sweatshirt.
- 1 pair closed toed sturdy shoes.
- 1 pair sandals or flip flops.
- 1 bandana or scarf.
What can you not wear in South Africa?
What NOT to Wear on Safari
- Don’t bring bright-coloured clothing or busy patterns. …
- Avoid camouflage clothing as some African countries reserve this pattern for military personnel only.
- Dark colours attract Tsetse flies, so stay away from dark blue or black clothing – they have a painful bite!
What should I pack for a trip to Africa?
The really important stuff
- Toiletries (+ wet wipes!)
- Headlamp/LED torches for getting around at night.
- Sunglasses to protect against that African sun!
- Insect repellent – DEET is your new bff.
- First aid kit & regular medication.
- Sturdy closed toe shoes or hiking boots.
- ‘Around the camp’ shoes or flip flops.
What is the coldest month in South Africa?
What is the coldest month in Johannesburg? June is the coldest month, with an average high-temperature of 16°C (60.8°F) and an average low-temperature of 4.1°C (39.4°F).
What is the dress code in South Africa?
South Africa is a conservative society and it is best to err on the side of caution in terms of dress. Therefore, men are advised to wear a collar and tie and women to wear smart, business-like dresses or suits. If meeting business contacts on a social basis, it is possible to dress more casually but not too casually.
Can you wear shorts in South Africa?
South Africans are generally casual so opt for dresses, shorts, T-shirts and light trousers. … This includes a dress shirt (ties are optional), blazer, and jeans or trousers for men, while a cocktail dress or smart separates are ideal for women.
How much cash should I take to South Africa?
How much money will you need for your trip to South Africa? You should plan to spend around R1,313 ($91) per day on your vacation in South Africa, which is the average daily price based on the expenses of other visitors.
What do they eat in South Africa?
Don’t leave South Africa without eating:
- Biltong & droewors. Dry curing was a method used to preserve meat by the indigenous tribes of South Africa before fridges were invented. …
- Boerewors. …
- Cape Malay curry. …
- Malva pudding. …
- Chakalaka & pap. …
- Braai/Shisa nyama. …
- Bunny chow. …
- Amarula Don Pedro.
Can you wear black in South Africa?
However there some neutral colors and clothing you need to stay away from, such as: No Dark blue and/or black colours can attract tsetse flies which have a nasty bite. … In southern Africa, Tsetse flies are not much of an issue.
What is the best month to visit South Africa?
The best time to visit South Africa’s parks is from May to September. This is the Dry season and animals congregate around waterholes and rivers. As this is winter, mornings and nights are cold. May and September are wonderful because it is less cold and, especially in September, the wildlife viewing is excellent.
Can you wear jeans on safari?
Jeans are a must-have when it comes to what to wear on safari! You’ll also want to have a comfortable pair of pants that you can wear around the campsite at night. Safari Packing Tip: Make sure you’re packing light. You should need no more than 5 pairs of safari pants.
What color should you not wear on safari?
Avoid black and dark blue clothing (both colors attract tsetse flies), and leave bright-white items at home; safari parks are often dusty, and white clothes may get dingy. You want to see wildlife on safari, not look like it!
Is it expensive to go to Africa?
Africa, as a region, is actually far more expensive than you might expect. Despite its generally low cost of living, as a traveler you’re likely find yourself spending more than you anticipated. … Many people who travel to Africa do so to experience a safari, which is far from a cheap activity.
Can you wear shorts in Africa?
Wear pants or long skirts when traveling in Africa. … Avoid short skirts and shorts, which leave your legs vulnerable to mosquitoes and are considered immodest on women. Men should also avoid wearing shorts, as they are traditionally only worn by schoolchildren in many African nations.