South Africans are permitted to acquire multiple citizenships, under certain conditions. You must apply for and be granted permission by the South African Department of Home Affairs for retention of your South African citizenship before attaining that citizenship.
How do I apply for dual citizenship in South Africa?
- DHA -175 (application form)
- DHA -529 (applicant form)
- Proof of continuous residence 1 year prior to application.
- RSA Police report valid for six (6) months from the date of issue.
- Police clearance from country or countries of present nationalities.
- Letter confirming acceptance of dual nationality.
Is it illegal to be a dual citizen?
U.S. law does not mention dual nationality or require a person to choose one nationality or another. A U.S. citizen may naturalize in a foreign state without any risk to his or her U.S. citizenship. … They are required to obey the laws of both countries, and either country has the right to enforce its laws.
Who qualifies for SA citizenship?
South African Citizenship by Naturalization
- Applicant must be a permanent residence holder.
- Ordinarily resident in South Africa and has been resident for one year after immediately preceding the date of application. …
- Person must be of a good character.
How do I get dual citizenship with UK and South Africa?
Go into your local Department of Home Affairs (with the Letter For Dual Nationality) and formally request permission to hold dual nationality. You will need to complete “BI-1664 Retention of Citizenship form (PDF)” and “BI-529 Determination of your Current Status form (PDF)”.
How much is dual citizenship in South Africa?
A fee of 33.00 AUD per application. One Postal Money Order or Bank cheque for the total amount (if more than one application) is preferred. If you are a naturalized South African, a copy of your Naturalization Certificate.
How long do you have to live in South Africa to become a citizen?
Applications for naturalisation may only be received by the office if the applicant has been on a Permanent Residence Permit for a period of five (5) years from the date of obtaining Permanent Residence (PR) in the Republic of South Africa.
What are disadvantages of dual citizenship?
Drawbacks of being a dual citizen include the potential for double taxation, the long and expensive process for obtaining dual citizenship, and the fact that you become bound by the laws of two nations.
Can I enter a country with one passport and exit with another?
Can I Enter a Country With One Passport and Exit With Another? In most cases, travelers should show the same passport that they used to enter the country when they depart. … However, most countries require the passport to be shown at border control when departing and will either stamp or scan the document.
Can you travel with 2 passports?
Traveling With Two Passports
Yes, you are allowed to carry both passports when you travel. If you are returning to the US, you will definitely need to carry your US passport, whether or not you are also bringing your non-US passport.
What are the benefits of being a South African citizen?
The advantages of being a permanent resident
- Greater flexibility. As mentioned, permanent residents are free to work, study, and start a business. …
- Greater security. …
- No more visa application admin. …
- No more money spent on visa applications. …
- Permanent residence for family members.
Who qualifies for permanent residence in South Africa?
are in possession of a permanent work offer in South Africa, or. have exceptional skills and qualifications. intend to establish a business in South Africa. qualify as Refugees in terms of Section 27(c) of the Refugees Act.
Do I need a passport if I am a permanent resident?
Lawful permanent residents of the U.S. need to show a Permanent Resident Card (Green card). A passport is not required.
Can I enter South Africa on a British passport?
As a full UK passport holder (with a passport valid for six months beyond your entry date) you are not required to have a Visa to enter South Africa. You are granted a Visitors Temporary Permit which is valid for a period of up to three months.
Can a permanent resident get a South African passport?
As a permanent resident, you have most of the rights and responsibilities of a South African citizen. You will not be able to obtain a South African passport nor be able to vote in South African government elections. … After receiving your permanent residence certificate, you are obliged to apply for a SA Identity Card.
How can I lose my South African citizenship?
AUTOMATIC LOSS OF SOUTH AFRICAN CITIZENSHIP
- has obtained the citizenship of another country by a voluntary and formal act, other than marriage; or.
- is serving in the armed forces of another country (where he or she is also a citizen) and that country is at war with South Africa.