Fire guts GRIDCO station at Tamale, causes total darkness

The whole of Tamale is has been plunged in darkness according to mynewsgh.com. This occured as a result of a fire outbreak that is reported to have occurred on Monday 20th November 2017.

Reports show that the fire gutted the main GRIDCo transmission and distribution station at Choggu. Personnel from the Ghana National Fire Service are yet to ascertain the true cause of the fire outbreak.

An official from the fire service who wishes to remain undisclosed visited the site said the fire has caused a total blackout at Tamale.

“The whole area is smoky so I am unable to tell exactly the cause of fire and what has been destroyed or not”.

The incident, which occurred around 1800 hours damaged vital installations at the facility leading to the total outage.

A statement however from the Communication Department of NEDCo on Monday night said “NEDCo is currently having some challenges at the control room at Choggu, which has resulted in a total power outage in Tamale.”

The statement said “Effort is being made to fix the problem and restore supply.”

 

 

Source: yen.com.gh

The Republic News Online

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *