Creating Jobs: NPP ‘Sacks’ LEKMA Workers

The ruling New Patriotic Party (NPP)’s onslaught of dismissals in the Public Sector has spiraled to the Ledzokuku/Krowor Municipal Assembly (LEKMA), where some 100 workers have been sacked.

A well-choreographed modus operandi, which has been applied in sister Assemblies all over the country, hit home at LEKMA on Tuesday, when staff members on the Assembly’s Internally Generated Funds (IGF) were told to go home and then reapply for the same jobs they hold.

“All staff paid under the Internally Generated Fund of the Ledzokuku-Krowor Assembly are directed to reapply for their current positions.

“You have from 8th August, 2017, to 1st September, 2017 to submit your applications, Curriculum Vitae and all other necessary documents plus one (1) passport size picture,” an 8th August letter announced.

The letter was signed by LEKMA’s Municipal Coordinating Director, Kodjoe Dekpo , on behalf of the Municipal Chief Executive (MCE), Evelyn Naa Adjeley Twum Gyamerah.

Madam Gyamerah, a former Constituency Women’s Organizer of the ruling party, is said to have issued the directive without any explanation whatsoever.

“We were just there and all of a sudden we were called and given these letters. Up till now, no one has told us why we have to reapply for the same jobs that we are doing now,” an affected staff told The Republic.

The Republic has also been told that all those who have been told to reapply had duly gone through job application procedure before getting into the employ of the Assembly and that some people have served for as long as 20 years.

It is estimated that up to 100 people may have been affected by the directive, which is requiring workers of the Assembly whose data and information are already with the Assembly to reapply for the same jobs they already hold.

LEKMA is not the first place that the strange directive to staff to reapply for the job they already hold has been issued. The directive has been issued in many Assemblies across the country.

A few weeks ago, The Republic reported a similar issuance at the Ga Central Municipal Assembly, where the MCE refused to respond to questions on the issue.

There is a popular suspicion that the reapplication directives are a euphemistic way of sacking the victims to enable the ruling NPP to replace those removed with party supporters and foot soldiers.

The apparent wholesale dismissal of public sector workers to make way for party apparatchiks to have jobs is happening under a President Akufo-Addo who himself has filled his government with family members, personal friends and ex girlfriends.

Meanwhile, former MCE for LEKMA, Hon. Daniel Amartey Mensah, has told The Republic that the overt victimization of workers will not be taken sitting down. He has hinted at the likelihood to go to court to quash the moves by the new MCE.

“Some of the people involved have been there for 20 years, some 15 years. Some too worked at AMA for several years before they were transferred to LEKMA.

“I remember before we employed some of them in 2009, they had undergone interview that was conducted by the Public Services Commission. So how can you ask them to reapply for the same jobs that they have now?”

Hon. Amartey said the directive did not make sense because it was not as if the people involved had been asked to apply for higher rank positions at the Assembly, which are supposed to be advertised anyway.

He pointed out that the biodata of the people involved are already with the Assembly.

“Their staff audit information already exists at the Assembly, if the Assembly has lost such information, all they have to do is to ask the affected people to refurnish them with such information and not to tell them to reapply for their jobs,” Hon. Amartey said.

He lamented that what the NPP government appears to be trying to do, is to sack people to make room for party people to have jobs, saying it was unfortunate because when the NDC was in office recruits from the NPP era had not been victimized.

In 2009, when the Assembly needed to hire more people, the job vacancy had been duly advertised which made it possible for all qualified applicants, he said.

The former LEKMA MCE, who is credited with wide infrastructural development in the twin municipalities of Teshie and Nungua, especially in the area of education, said the new MCE cannot also claim that LEKMA does not have money to pay the workers she is trying to lay off.

“To be honest with you, the workers on IGF take very little home.”

 

 

Source:  therepublicnewsonline.com/ Fiifi Samuels

The Republic News Online

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *