– Confirmed!

…Police Narrative Shot Down, Army Implicated

Lingering mystery surrounding the 9th April dastardly lynching of the late Maj. Maxwell Mahama keeps lifting off, increasingly exposing as a lie the official narrative of the police that the soldier had been lynched on the basis of mistaken identity.

In addition to available evidence that the soldier’s presence as the commander of an anti-galamsey detachment in the Upper Denkyira West District could not have been unknown to the district Chief executive, who is the head of DISEC, it has emerged that William Baah, the Assemblyman for Diaso, had premeditatedly organized the killing.

Sources have revealed that the reason Captain Mahama had been killed some 13 kilometers away from his station was that he had earlier, in the morning of the fateful day, attended a meeting in Denkyira Boase over galamsey.

William Baah, the Assemblyman who had led the youth to lynch him and later claim that he was an armed robber, had been the one who had organized the meeting with the Captain.

It is said that, at the meeting, Mr. Baah, who along with the DCE for Upper Denkyira West, Daniel Appianing, and the MP for the area, Samuel Nsowah-Djan, is an owner of a galamsey concession, had requested for mining equipment that the military had seized to be returned.

The late Captain, posthumously promoted to Major, Is said to have refused outright to return the equipment. Subsequent to that, he had left the rendezvous and made it to a main road in Denkyira Boase with the intent to get a car back to base. It was in the course of looking for a car that he had come across a snail seller and approached her to buy snails.

According to the official narrative, the snail seller who had seen a gun strapped on the late Major had mistaken him for an armed robber and called the Assemblyman to report.

The interesting thing however is that, it has emerged that in the process of lynching the soldier, the victim had also been shot.

According to fresh information available, when the late soldier realized that the townspeople had been organized to attack him, he had gotten hopped on to an Okada motorbike and asked the rider to speed away. However, the Okada rider had rather joined in with his assailants.

It is said that this led to the Major shooting the thigh of the motor rider and then jumped on to a moving Urvan car, but his assailants shot at him, scattering the windscreen of the car and flooring the late soldier at the mercy of the attackers.

After he had put his pistol down and raised his hands, while protesting that he was a soldier and that if the assailants doubted him they should take him to a police station, the murderers had pounced on him and killed him.

The new revelation has led to questions about the official police narrative that the late soldier had been lynched on the mistaken identity of an armed robber. The revelation that he had been shot at indicates the murder had been planned.

William Baah, the Assemblyman for Diaso, who is also the ruling NPP’s Branch Secretary for the area, is said to have bought drinks for the people who had lynched the soldier after the dastardly criminality. Some of the ladies, who had joined in the attack and still on the run are said to be members of the District Assembly there.

In the wake of the lynching, Daniel Appianing, District Chief Executive for Upper Denkyira West, had justified the lynching by claiming the late soldier was rather protecting Chinese illegal miners in the area.

President Akufo-Addo has since suspended him.

As the DCE, Assemblyman and the MP for the area are said to be galamseyers, the alternative narrative that the late Capt. Mahama, who was head of an anti-galamsey detachment in the area had been killed for fighting the menace has gained more currency.

Circumstantial evidence, including the fact that the soldier was at least, 13 kilometers away from base has shredded the official narrative that he had been jogging when he was mistaken for an armed robber and lynched.

According to the same official narrative, the soldier had missed his way and had asked for directions from the snail seller who had raised the false alarm that he was an armed robber, in this modern era when GPS compass systems are even on android phones.

Strong indications are that the late soldier had been murdered premeditatedly for fighting illegal mining, which is a source of employment in the area.

The galamsey interests, led by the MP, DCE and the Assemblyman for the area, had been especially unhappy with the late Captain’s steadfastness in the stamping out of that illegal mining activity.

The Assemblyman, William Baah, had led the murderous operation partly in anger for his own President, Nana Akufo-Addo, who had promised during the 2016 campaign not to fight galamsey, but almost immediately, turned round, after his election as President, to start a clampdown.

Meanwhile, as a confirmation of the public’s suspicion that the soldier had been lynched for fighting illegal mining becomes more assertive, Kwadwo Asare Baffuor Acheampong, host of ‘Ekosii Sen’ on Asempa FM, has made a revelation that massively chips away at the cover story from the police.

According to Mr. Acheampong, the late Captain, posthumously promoted to Major, was indeed murdered for fighting galamsey, but that the Ghana Army itself shares profusely in the blame over the young soldier’s death.

Popularly known by his acronym KABA, Mr. Acheampong reveals that the late Maj. Maxwell Mahama had paid the ultimate price for negligence and power-play within the senior ranks of the Military.

Contrary to the police’ claim that the soldier had been mistaken for an armed robber and lynched, KABA confirms that the people who had lynched knew he was a soldier and that they had taken advantage of lack of crucial intelligence that the army should have given Maxwell.

According to the KABA revelation, the late Maj. Mahama had been leading the anti-galamsey detachment at Denkyira Oboase for three whole months, starting from the beginning of this year.

After the three months’ spell, he had been relieved by a Lieutenant as he (Maxwell) returned to Accra to prepare and sit for promotional exams for upgrade to the rank of Major.

In his temporary absence from Denkyira Oboase, the Lieutenant who had replaced him had made major seizure of galamsey equipment that galamseyers at Denkyira Oboase were using in their illegal mining operations.

Upon the seizure, the people of the place had called for a meeting with the Lieutenant in question in attempt to negotiate for a peaceful return of the equipment, but the Lieutenant had refused to attend the meeting.

Rather, he had delegated four soldiers under his command to meet with the people and listen to their grievance.

KABA reveals that the meeting with the Denkyira people had ended sourly and nearly led to the lynching of the four soldiers, but for the soldiers having had the presence of mind to heavily arm themselves before going for the meeting.

Even after cocking their weapons, the four soldiers had had to rely on a sophisticated military drill, of backing up one another and guarding against attacks from flanks, while combatively ambling to a Pick-up vehicle that eventually drove them away to safety.

Following the incident, KABA reveals, somebody in the Denkyira Oboase area reported it to the Military High Command in Accra, but instead of investigating, the Military High Command had recalled the four soldiers and detained them in guard room at Burma Camp. These four officers remained on detention until the lynching of Capt. Mhama.

And the most shocking of all, KABA reveals that after detaining the four officers from Denkyira Oboase, nobody in the military had informed the late Major of the incident after Maxwell Mahama had completed his examination and returned to Denkyira Oboase to take over again as leader of the anti-galamsey detachment there.

The murdered soldier had therefore attended a later meeting that had been called by the same galamseyers who had attempted to lynch his colleagues in his absence, totally ignorant of what had transpired earlier. Maxwell’s refusal to hand over the galamsey equipment, upon request by the galamseyers led by William Baah, the Assemblyman for Diaso and the ruling party’s branch Secretary for the same area, led to his being attacked and lynched.

Immediately upon the lynching, the District Chief Executive for the Upper Denkyira West District, Daniel Appianing, had rushed to claim on radio that the murdered soldier had been lynched for protecting Chinese illegal miners in the area.

Mr. Appianing had made that shocking claim in spite of the fact that as DCE, he is automatically the Chairman of the District Security Committee (DISEC) and, as such, ought to have known about the deployment of the soldiers there to fight galamsey.

His claims had come on the heels of an even wilder claim by the Assemblyman for Diaso, William Baah, that the murdered soldier had been lynched for being an armed robber.

The police have since arrested William Baah and some 40 other suspects, while President Akufo-Addo has suspended Daniel Appianing.




The Republic News Online

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *