16.3 C
New York
June 3, 2020
The Republic
  • Home
  • News
  • Minority Calls for Prez Akufo Addo to Be Quarantine over Corona-Virus
News Politics

Minority Calls for Prez Akufo Addo to Be Quarantine over Corona-Virus

The Minority members on the Health Committee of Parliament are calling for President Akufo Addo to quarantine himself to avoid been contact with members of the Ghanaian public.

According to the Minority, the President who returned to the country after touring some of the Corona-virus (COVID-19) affected countries ought to have quarantine himself for 14days before going public as part of precautionary measures.

Ranking member on the committee, Hon. Kwabena Mintah Akandoh made the call at a press conference in Accra Wednesday afternoon.

He told pressmen in parliament, the World Health Organisation(WHO) and the Ghana Health Services (GHS) preventive measures urged the public to regularly wash hands, cover mouth or nose when sneezing, arriving passengers should be screened for elevated temperatures and those with high ones be quarantined.

The WHO further advised that passengers travel history should be established.

It added that all countries should secure quarantine areas at airports and selected hospitals..

Hon Akandoh

Port and airport health officials and everyone who will get in contact with travellers should be properly educated on how to behave and what personal protective equipment (PPE) is required.

On top of these, additional steps should include, routing passengers arriving from China where the disease broke and other South-East Asian countries to another terminal or section, be screen individually.

This, Mr Akandoh said the President and his entourages who toured Norway and other countries should have led the example and quarantine themselves for 14days incubation period.

The Minority also blasted the Minister of Health and the government for not making enough effort to prepare the country to contain the disease should it detected in Ghana.

The Minister for Health, Hon Kweku Agyeman-Manu, briefed parliament this morning on how the country prepared to contain the Corona-virus.

According to the Minister, the government has released an extra US$2 million in preparations for a possible outbreak of the Coronavirus in Ghana.

But the minority questioned the adequacy of the 2.5 million cedis earlier allocated out of the required 35 million.

Nana in Norway

Mr Akandoh argued that measures rolled out against the Covid-19 are inadequate.

He said it was the responsibility of government to establish health support for Ghanaians in China, especially in Wuhan, adding that, It was also imperative for the government to keep track of Ghanaians, provide them support as well as knowing when they return.

He expressed disappointment that the GHS35million required is not fully released.

The minority also berated the Health Ministry and the government for failing to put out the campaign on symptoms and preventive measures as the country appeared to have fallen short to WHO gaps.

He said since the outbreak of the disease, not one simulation exercise so far has been carried out.

Agraman Manu

He added that all Isolation Centres earmarked are in Accra or cities and border towns without considering other parts of Ghana even as some remote communities.

The worse of all, Mr Akandoh said, no convincing arrangements for other points of entry apart from Terminal 3, while no clear plans have been made for the stranded students in Wuhan.

The Ranking member said a country like Ghana that has been on the WHO Priority 1 list of the 13 most vulnerable countries in Africa should be worried but the government appeared concern.

But Agyeman Manu assured that the extra funds would go a long way to boost measures being rolled out.

He added that supplies from the government have now made Ghanaian students stranded in Wuhan, China fairly comfortable.

The Health Minister therefore urged the public to avoid handshakes as a preventive measure for Coronavirus.

He added that so far 40 suspected cases have all proven negative.

Nigeria and Senegal are the only West African nations to confirm a case each of the novel coronavirus outbreak.

Authorities have confirmed more than 92,000 cases of the virus worldwide of which more than 80,000 are in China. More than 3,000 people have died globally, the vast majority in China.

New infections and deaths have been declining in recent weeks in China due to draconian quarantine measures.

The country on Wednesday reported 38 more deaths but a fall in fresh cases for a third consecutive day.

The worst-hit country outside China remains South Korea which on Wednesday reported 516 new confirmed infections, bringing the total to 5,328. The country’s death toll stands at 33 persons.

 

Source: .therepublicnewsonline.com

Related posts

Ghana’s Education Sector is Moving Backwards— Nortsu-Kotoe

Felix Nyaaba

Give Me Chance To Rescue NDC In Weija Gbawe–Nii Saka

Felix Nyaaba

Banning MPs Phones In Parliament Chamber Will Badly Affect Constituents –Wassa East MP

Felix Nyaaba

Leave a Comment