Minority spokesperson on Defence and Interior committee of parliament, Hon. James Agalga, has called on government to activate the National Disaster Management Organisation (NADMO) ACT, Act 927, 2016 to support flood victims in the country.
According to him, Act 927, when activated would help to empower NADMO with the needed resources to fight floods and support victims.
Mr Agalga who is the immediate former Deputy Minister for the Interior, made the call at a press briefing in Parliament on Monday October 22, 2019.
The NADMO Act 927 was enacted in 2016 under the National Democratic Congress (NDC) administration to give NADMO the much resources to operate.
However, speaking to members of Parliament Press Corp to drum home the plight of flood victims in the Upper East Region, the MP said the NADMO Act has not been implemented by the government, hence challenges.
The Upper East Region has been hit by torrential rainfall for the past two weeks, destroying houses and farmlands.
At least 28 persons have been confirmed killed by the flood, while several others displaced.
Following that, Mr Agalga who is MP for Builsa North said he filed a statement to draw government attention through parliament but the Speaker, Rt Hon. Professor Aaron Mike Oquaye, refused him the chance to read the statement.
He said the Speaker refused him on grounds that the statement would ignite political controversy on the floor.
Nonetheless, Mr Agalga said, the flood victims and the entire residents of the Upper East felt been abandoned by the government.
He said 487 affected houses were completely brought down while stormwater submerged 7,757 others and 11,959.6 hectares of farmland badly affected, thereby posing food insecurity in the affected areas.
The affected districts include Bawku West, Builsa North and South, Bongo, Kasena-Nankana Central and West, Garu, Tempane and parts of Talensi.
He said since the disaster, the displaced residents have not received any form of relief support from NADMO nor government in the districts.
The Ranking Member on Defence and Interior Committee stressed that the GHS50,000.00 donated by Vice President, Dr Mohammoud Bawumia is woefully inadequate to support the thousands of victims.
The flood, which resulted from heavy rainfall also ravaged schools, churches and mosques, markets among other public property.
One of the victims, Ayine David, who spoke with THE REPUBLIC via telephone on the disaster from Bongo, lamented that the NADAMO and the government had not taken any remedial or preventive measures to forestall the calamity in the future and address its aftermath.
He lamented that the situation “is that of the abandoned child.
“We are treated as if we did not belong to Ghana or Upper East. We are being abandoned as if we chose ourselves to be affected by the flood.
“It is quite sad we are going through these pains when we have elected leaders to governed this country and managed our resources. The governments have abandoned us.”
The disaster which is as the result of the spillage of the Bagre Dam in Burkina Faso had compounded the challenges, as economic activities and goods had been condemned.
Source: therepublicnewsonline.com/Felix Nyaaba