17.9 C
New York
May 21, 2019
The Republic
  • Home
  • News
  • Minority insist Govt must Complete Saglemi Housing Project
News Politics

Minority insist Govt must Complete Saglemi Housing Project

The Minority caucus in parliament has demanded for an immediate action by the New Patriotic Party (NPP) government to get Messrs OAS Constructoras Ghana Limited, the Contractor of the Saglemi Affordable Housing project back on site to complete the First Phase of the project.

According to the Minority, completing of the Housing project would not only help the nation overcome the huge housing deficit, but would also in way avoid judgment debts to the country.

They demanded that, government through the Ministry of Works and Housing go into negotiating with the Contractor to enable them go back to site to complete phase one of the project.

The Minority also demanded for, “all the ancillary works needed to enable the occupation of the 636 housing units completed so far should begone without further delay.”
In addition, “the government should show proof of commitment as to the delivery of the 200,000 housing units earmarked for the Regional Capital as contained in the 2019 Budget Estimate , in order to reduce the national housing deficit.”

Minority addressing press at project site at Saglemi

The Minority made the demand when it’s members on the Works and Housing select Committee of Parliament, took an official working visit to the Saglemi Housing Project site at Dawa in the Ningo-Prampram District of the Greater Accra Region, Tuesday morning April 16.

Addressing press after touring the project site, the Ranking member on the Committee and MP for Ho West, Mr Emmanuel Kwesi Bedzrah, described the New Patriotic Party (NPP) government decision to abandoned the project as “reckless and unpatriotic.”

According to him, the claims by the government that, it is conducting investigation into the Contract on project which currently have over 600 housing unit completed, is completely insensitive to the plight of citizens.

In the view of the Minority, the Government lackadaisical attitude toward the project sought to confirm their long held stance that the government has no solution to the myriad of problems facing the nation.

The Minority in parliament has expressed outrage concerning some 1,412 affordable houses, which, it says, have been left to rot since the Akufo-Addo government took office in January 2017.

He expressed outrage on the fact that, despite the huge housing deficit in the country, the government deliberately left the 1,412 Saglemi affordable houses to rot simply for political interest.

Explaining further, the Ranking member said, on Friday, 31 October 2012, parliament granted an approval of $200 million for the construction of the affordable houses at Saglemi near Tsopoli in the Ningo Prampram District.

Minority MPs inspecting some of the completed houses

The contract, he stated, was a turnkey project classified under engineering, procurement and construction (EPC), which gave the contractor “the responsibility of designing, procurement and construction”, adding that “after the completion of the project, it will be handed over to the Ministry of Water Resources, Works and Housing”.
The project is being undertaken by Messrs Construtoras OAS Limited as the contractor with the client being the Ministry of Works and Housing. Ridge Management Solution, RSM Ghana Limited is serving as the consultant for the project.

The contract, Mr Bedzrah said, was awarded on the 27th of February 2014 with an initial completion date being 1 March 2016.

Per the contract, “A total of 5,000 housing units were to be delivered at the end of the contract. The initial housing units to be delivered under Phase I is supposed to be 1, 412”.

The Select Committee on Works and Housing had on Thursday April 11, 2019, in the company of the Minister of Works and Housing, Mr Samuel Atta Akyea, and his deputy, Mrs Barbara Asher Ayisi,visited the site and observed that, “the needed on-site social infrastructure and facilities such as an electricity distribution board, street lights, open spaces, tarred roads and covered drains had all been provided.”

“The Phase I of the project, which comprises 1,412 units consisting of two- and three-bedrooms, 116 normal town housing units, have practically been completed, one of which has been designated for a police station. 636 units out of the 1,024 were also completed for occupation,”the Minority said.

some of the Housing Units

The remaining 388, the Minority said, have been 70 per cent completed, but the government has since in 2017 abandoned the project.

Mr Sylvanus Attivor Procurement officer of OAS and Site Supervisor said, the delay by government to allow them continue is affecting the materials on site and putting the company into debts.

He stated government is currently owing the company of over GHS23million Asa result of tax exemption equipments brought for the project.

Headed that, over 1500 workers hired for the project have been laid off as a result of the current government decision not to continue, while those left also experience delay in salaries.

Other Minority members on the committee includes, Hon Rudolf Amenga-Etigo, Andrews Dari Chiwity,Kwame Twumansi Ampofo, Sophia Ackuaku and Abdula-Aziz Muniru.

Minority MPs visited Saglemi Housing Project

Source: therepublicnewsonline,com/Felix Nyaaba

Related posts

Minority Calls for Transparency in New Regions creation

Felix Nyaaba

NHIS is Crumbling under the Burden of NPP Corruption- Dr Sandaare

Felix Nyaaba

Ejura-Sekyeredumasi Secured 97.17 % towards Mahama victory 2020

Felix Nyaaba

Leave a Comment